Saturday, February 07, 2015

Reader Interview: Reader-Dean Deckard

Reader Profiles is where I'll speak to people about their reading habits. Face it, most authors seem only interested in speaking about writing. That's leaving out a huge portion of the publishing industry...



 
Bio: "Married to the love of my life. Two cats and a dog. Nearing retirement. Currently an associate dean and department chair in a large academic medical center in the southeast. I enjoy reading and doing things with my wife. About 14 years ago my wife bought me a homebrew kit for my birthday and since then I have become an avid homebrewer. I really enjoy brewing my own beer and I am a member of the local homebrew club here in town."
   

How often do you read? How fast do you read?

I try to read at least an hour every day. Sometimes I don’t get that much time to read but most days I find the time.

I’m not a very fast reader---by choice. I could read faster and, depending on what I am reading, I can read faster than my “normal” reading pace. I find that when I read fast, I don’t enjoy it as much and reading becomes almost a chore.
   

Favorite authors?

Dickens, Mark Twain, Jack London, Steinbeck. Recent authors are C.J. Sansom, Paul Theroux and Ron Rash. Philip K. Dick took me a while to get into. Once I did, I quite enjoyed his bizarre writings and imagination.
   

What are your preferred genres to read for fun? What genres will you NOT read, or dislike reading?

Mysteries and thrillers mainly. Lately I have been reading lots of nonfiction, especially biographies.
   

What influences your choice of book to read for fun?

Primarily, eBooks but the occasional print when the eBook isn’t available.

Many times the choice depends on the mood I am in at the time I start a book. Currently, I am planning a trip to Belgium so I am reading All Quiet on the Western Front and a short book on the history of WW1 to help prepare for the trip.

Recommendations from friends and other readers I trust.
   

What's the best book you've ever read?

Call of the Wild. No, wait—A Tale of Two Cities. Maybe The Sand Pebbles. Definitely was East of Eden.

Just one!
   

What's the worst book you've ever read?

The Da Vinci Code. ‘Nuff said!
   

What elements make a good story?

For fiction, good, believable characters and plot development. If you can’t believe it, tough to get into. Of course, for some things, like fantasy, belief might have to be suspended.
   

What makes you roll your eyes or groan in a story?

Characters doing something totally out of character or unbelievable.

   
Ever watch movies based on books, or read a book because it's already been made into a movie?

I do watch movies based on books and, honestly, most of the time I am disappointed. I tend to enjoy the book more often than the movies.

I have a few times read the book after seeing a movie. The Godfather was one. And Jaws. Both these were when I was in high school and since then I have always read the book first.
   

Where do you like to read the most?

I have a small bedroom in my house that has been converted into my reading room. I have a radio/CD player, chair, gooseneck lamp, and two walls with built in bookshelves. It’s a place I can get away while my wife watches television.
 
 


If you'd like to share your reading preferences, email Troglodad AT Gmail DOT COM for a set of questions or make your own based on what you see above. 

No comments: